
I have been blogging recently about my health and some of you might be wondering what the concern with my liver was all about. When I was in my third trimester of pregnancy they did all the usual blood tests including all the hepatitis ones. So, a few days go by and I'm working with Fred at the car lot and I decided to call & get all my results. The nurse goes down the large lists of things and then she gets the the hepatitis tests. She says "Hep A...negative, Hep C negative, and ummmm". Now I'm in the back office shuffling through title work expecting all of them to be negative when she says "It looks like you tested POSITIVE for Hepatitis B". As I stopped working I turned to see what Fred was doing as I saw my reflection in the mirror. My skin is hypersensitive so my neck was instantly broke out in hives and my face a ghostly shade of white. Fred was with a relative and a customer and by this time I am hiding with tears running down my cheeks. And then she says "Now you be sure and use a condom if you have sex okay" and hangs up.
After I told Fred he said there's no way you could have that. I called and made an appointment. with Dr. Lopez and he talked with us about it. He said the ONLY way to get this is through drug (needles) use and sexual contact. I kept telling him I just don't understand how I could have such a thing unless, when I worked in the lab at the hospital I got stuck by a needle and didn't know it. He told us if I did have it the chances for Pebbles having it was high...we cried and he prayed with us.
Then he told me that every once in a while there can be such a thing as a "false-positive" where in reads positive in the lab but it's actually negative and pregnancy can interfere with the results. He wanted me to get re-test asap and he sent me for a level 2 ultrasound at our "big city" hospital, and Pebbles was fine. :)
I waited 2 whole weeks for that phone call. I got the call while visiting my Mom and we were in the car on our way to go shopping. The nurse said "Honey, it was a False-Positive, you are fine but your enzymes are still high". During that 2 week span I realized what it felt like to have something as serious as Hepatitis. My mind played tricks on me and I thought people were looking at me funny, knowing good and well they didn't know. I felt isolated and stayed in bed the majority of the time.
Dr' Lopez thought after Pebbles' birth I should get my liver checked by a specialist and referred one to me. I think out of fear I never made that appointment. However, I did get the blood work done a few weeks ago and my enzymes are in the normal range as I posted about the other day. I am so thankful.
Thanks if you are still with me and sorry for such a long post.
For more SFMTY please go HERE.



16 comments:
What a blessing that you are fine!!!
Wow what a scare and what a story.
Thank you for sharing....wonderful FRO post.
:)
Very scary... especially when so far along in your pregnancy. We have several friends with children adopted from China who are HepB+. It's something you can live with and well, but a medical special need is never fun.
that's gotta be very scary! glad things are okay.
I can't imagine your fear for those days while you waited. Glad everything turned out fine! :-)
How scary that must have been for you and the family. So glad to know it all turned out well though.
Oh my gosh how awful! What a hard thing to have to go through. Bless your heart!
So glad you and that little girly of yours are just fine! You were so cute preggo!
Oh, Wilma! How scary. I'm like you. Out of fear, I would have avoided making an appointment also. How silly we are. What a blessing that your enzymes are in normal range now. God is good!
I am new here! What a great blog :) ♥ Hugs!
I am so glad all is well, what a scare!!!
So glad you are doing okay! I went through a scare when I was pregnant with Lauren so I know exactly how you felt.
Well thank God for that!!!
How scary!
Oh, sweetie, that must have been so SCARY! The nurse could have done a better job giving you the news - at LEAST letting you know it could be a false-positive! Thank goodness for an honest, Christian doctor!
How awful...that must have been terrifying!
Wow. I can't imagine how scary that was. I am so glad it turned out ok. I think something almost exactly like that happened to my friend Jen.
Post a Comment