Saturday, May 16, 2009

OCD?


Pebbles had a tick on her a while back and my sweet and calm SIL Stacy came over and pulled it off of her. It freaked her out and I am a bit squeamish of the blood suckers myself. Well, some time has passed since then and now she has noticed a mole close to where the tick was on her hip. She started crying in the bathtub one night while we were at a funeral and my Mom watched her. She said she discovered that mole and kept saying "wash it off" pretty hysterically. And now if she gets food, dirt or a speck of anything on her little hands she wants to wash it off immediately.
Have any of you experienced anything like this? I wonder if she has OCD (like her germaphob mama) or if she just thinks of that tick and also doesn't like to be dirty?

10 comments:

Sally's World said...

Oh bless....I'm no expert, but i would guess she's just associating the mark with the tick, and of course, as that could come off....

my kids have all gone through stages, and Deion hates sticky hands, freaks him out, but I just carry baby wipes. i don't stress about it, or make a big thing, we all have quirks don't we.

and also, with everyone on TV and every where you go talking about hand washing...maybe she's picked up more than you think??? never know!!!

have a great day!

Unknown said...

I have some that hate to get dirty and some that do not mind so much!

I think it's more of a genetic thing then it is environmental...the cleaner kids are easier to handle then the dirtier ones.

Simple Midwest Mom said...

Long time no chat... has been that long since I've been to your blog? Pebbles has really grown! I think it'snormal for her to be picky about dirt and such. I wouldn't worry. Good to see you're still in the blogosphere. I'm back now and am trying to keep up with posting.

j said...

Bless her heart. She knew when it happened before that it was "serious" so now she is nervous about it (my opinion). Respond calmly to her need to wash her hands. Maybe even have a mud pie day and all of you get dirty on purpose to help alleviate those fears.

Happy said...

You got some good advice here! I think kids do go through those stages of needing to wash their hands and I don't think it means they're going to be germaphobes or have OCD...

I like the idea of having a mud pie day and letting her see that it's okay to be dirty sometimes! (But then go give her a bath....)

That seems a little mixed up!

Good luck!

Unknown said...

For several months, Lauren would freak out anytime she saw a bug. Each time we would respond calmly and tell her often that they wouldn't hurt her. It took quite some time, but she isn't freaking out about them anymore. I'm sure that the specks she is seeing makes her think of the tick and is scaring her. Just keep talking to her about it and helping her to see having dirt on her hands etc. isn't going to hurt her. She'll most likely get past this with you helping her see that these things aren't going to hurt her.

Big Hair Envy said...

This, too, shall pass;) Although, I found a tick in my scalp this morning, and it freaked me out a little!! The price we pay for having pets;)

D... said...

I think it's just a stage, she's learned she doesn't like being dirty & reminded of that tick.

Anonymous said...

Probably just a phase. Kenny went through this.... he couldn't stand dirt or grass or anything but he outgrew it.
I had a tick on my leg last night. As I pulled I purposely concentrated on how it felt and to my surprise, there was no pain at all. - it was stuck on there pretty good, too. -- I think Pebbles was more frightened of me and of the unknown (why is Aunt Stacy holding me down??? why is she pinching at my leg???) than the sensation of having the tick removed.

Unknown said...

I have no idea. I am baffled. Let me know what happens with this. I am fascinated!





My Posse

THE BLOGGERS PRAYER

Lord help me to learn to spell without spellcheck,
manage to visit all that visit me, and post regularly -
all in 5 minutes a day, so that I can clean house
and take care of my family.
Help me to not look at every occurrence in my life as a blog post, and to quit taking pictures of weird things to share as well. Please Lord, help me to stop talking about my blog friends as though they are next door neighbors or someone I have known all of my life.
And help me dear Lord, to think of something witty and wise to post tomorrow.
----The Dust Bunny Hostage



Thanks For Stopping By