

Well, we have had a gorgeous weekend here and the day is ending with thunder storms. Pebbles seemed just a little frightened by the crack of the lightning and I remembered what my Mom used to tell me as a child.
When the storms would start I would yell "Moooooooooom" from my bedroom as a scared little girl holding the covers up over my head. She would come in and sit by my bedside and tell me to listen. The thunder would rumble and she would say "Do you hear that?" "That's God bowling." The rumble was the ball rolling down the lane. And then CRACK "Did you hear that", she would say. God got a strike! Every time the lightning would strike and my room would light up we would cheer for God getting a strike. The storm ended up becoming a game we would play together. And soon all would be quiet and the peaceful rain would start to fall. Off to sleep I would go.
So tonight, I told Pebbles that God was bowling. And she repeated it! I'm anxious to see if she says it next time it storms. She has no idea what bowling is and she realizes that God is a special word we say, but of course not sure what He is yet.
Did your parents do anything special during scary situations for you or do you do things now for you kids?



9 comments:
we were stuck in the car once, in orlando, with an horrific storm, lightening struck the side of the road...me and the kids had to play I spy and sing songs to calm my husband down!!!!!LOL
another time we were on a boat near the bahamas (dolphin swimming) and we got caught in a storm, rain wind, thunder, lightening...in the end my son (then 12) said 'for god sakes dad, they have lightening rods on these things to take the charge, just shut up'
it turns out my kids are frightened of absolutely NOTHING...my husband on the other hand...total wimp!!!!
We used to count the seconds between the thunder and the lightning. I don't remember being afraid. I LOVE a good storm.
With my kids, we would sometimes tell ghost stories by candlelight while the weather howled. That will send a chill up your spine. Once Brad needed to go to the bathroom but he didn't want to because of the mirror. He was afraid he might see "Bloody Mary". We had just read about her appearing in mirrors. He was pranceing around about to soak himself so I said, "Get in there now!". Off he ran to the bathroom and off I ran outside to the bathroom window where I pounded on it. He screamed like a girl! It was pretty funny. --- lest you consider it child abuse, I should state that they were older at that time- maybe about 11.
I'll try to remember that next time we have a thunderstorm. I'm a big scarred-y cat when it comes to storms. LOL!!! Great way to lighten the mood. I think my parents used to say that God was rearranging his furniture. I also remember when it would rain with the sun shinning, my mom would say that Mary was taking a shower. I love it when it rains with the sun shinning.
My kids haven't ever been afraid of storms. I guess they are just weird like that:)
we've used that same illistration..fun times I tell you!
at least she will grow up knowing that his not mad..;)
When we have thunderstorms, I have some really freaked out kids, because we were in the midst of a tornado about 3 years ago in a Wal-mart parking lot. So, now we cuddle and repeat this verse "Have I not commanded you be strong and of good courage, do not be afraid nor be dismayed for the Lord your God is with you where ever you go." Joshua 1:9
If we have a storm during the night well, then my whole floor is littered with little bodies and their blankies!
Love your new header!
My kids aren't really afraid of storms or things like that. Strange kids. They both slept through the hurricane!
Now spiders? My son is scared of them. He refused to use their bathroom because a spider was "living" there. I tried to convince him it was like Charlotte from Charlotte's Web. He's smarter than that. lol
I was terribly scared of storms for MANY years....and my mother used to tell me the exact same thing. And I told my kids when they were little.
Seemed like the right thing to do! ;-)
That is the CUTEST explanation for thunder...I may have to use that one!!
Post a Comment