Thursday, April 2, 2009

Do you tan?



As I've been out shopping I see that a lot of the young girls are already tan, and I mean TAN. I know that they are wanting to look their best and have all the peer pressures and so on. I was a very girlie girl in school myself and kept up with the latest fashions etc. Seems like to be VERY tan is part of our youths fashion today.
Several years ago I worked for a dermatologist and if we had the least bit of a tan or burn we had to wear turtle necks to hide it. If young girls came in with tans the Dr. really chewed them out and told them to wear long sleeves, straw hats and pants...yeah right?! How fashionable is this for a 16 year old girl?

While working there I had to witness a lot of things. I was his assistant and I helped him with all the surgeries. A lot of them were older people with mole removals and some of them being cancerous. It heartbreaking when he would have to tell them they didn't have much time left. There are a few types of skin cancer; basal cell carcinoma, squamous cell carcinoma, and melanoma. But even after seeing that happen, I still would continue to sun bathe or mostly go to the tanning bed. A few years back a friend of a friend lost her fairly long battle with cancer. She was around the age of 41. I believe it started out as skin cancer and spread. She was one who went to the tanning bed often. I haven't went back to one since her death and even had paid for appointments left.

So, please be safe in whatever way you decide to tan. I tried the spray tan once and I thought I would suffocate! I had to jump out of the machine...horrible experience.

I leave you with this video clip, enjoy. :)

11 comments:

Sally's World said...

I used to love to tan when i was a kid, no-one warnd us of the dangers then, so i stopped pretty quickly when I knew, luckily, i am not too fair,so didn't burn, but i have more wrinkles than i should (i'm sure).young girls now don't seem to care about the warnings. i hope most the tans i see are fake...but sun bed salons are everywhere...more regulations!!!

j said...

I have tanned for years but I'm backing off. My skin is RURNT (ruined). If you like the leather look then you'll LOOOOOOVE me. I didn't tan in moderation when I was a teen - I went for the deep dark tan. I got it but I wish that I had backed off now.

A boy in my class mentioned skin cancer when he signed my yearbook. It always bothered me but not enough to stop loving the sun and tanning beds.

Great post Wilma!!

Anonymous said...

I will be honest and say that yes, I go to the tanning bed.

I am not a tanaholic by any means, I go just enough to get my legs in sandal condition. :)

Happy said...

I am a tanner...well, used to be. Right before I got pregnant and the tanning bug started to itch I told myself that I needed to learn to be comfortable in my own pasty white skin and possibly get some gradual sunless tanning lotion for a little "glow." I knew tanning was horrible for my skin health and a very time consuming (because I have an addictive personality) and expensive habit.

Then I got pregnant and that really sealed my pale fate.

So, I did get some Mary Kay sunless tanning lotion...the kind that you put on everyday and in about a week you notice a subtle change.

Dawn @ simply transparent said...

I'm so fair skinned it never took when I did and I never could stay still long enough ..now I don't even bother..and to be honest..it doesn't bother me anymore.

I'll try some lotion stuff this year cause I do plan on being in shorts a lot!

like your new header..it's perfect!

Unknown said...

No tanning here except for what I get when I'm outdoors hanging up laundry or gardening! It doesn't seem to be a big deal out here in the boondocks where I live. We see a lot of farmer tans around here and its all okay!

Mental P Mama said...

My tanning days are done. Self tanners for this mama. Too scary to get out there and bake...

D... said...

Skin cancer is such a fear of mine. I don't tan, nor go to a tanning bed. But, living in Texas, you walk outside and tan. I'm not fair-skinned so I hope that works for me! My kids are always white as white can be.

So you scared me. ;) But then you cheered me right up with that video clip of Ross. One of my very favorite scenes!

Debbie said...

I miss Friends!
I subbed today and was noticing that one girl was "tan" and one foot was orange while the other was white.

Suz Broughton said...

Self tanner all the way! I loved that scene from Friends. Had huge crush on Ross.

Keri said...

Nope, not a tanning bed user. I have in the past, but no longer. I say do it in moderation, but be careful. I see some people so dark it looks completely unnatural. Especially in the middle of winter. I can't imagine using a tanning bed to that extent. But hey, to each their own.

Great clip of Ross. I totally remember laughing my head off watching that episode. Good stuff!





My Posse

THE BLOGGERS PRAYER

Lord help me to learn to spell without spellcheck,
manage to visit all that visit me, and post regularly -
all in 5 minutes a day, so that I can clean house
and take care of my family.
Help me to not look at every occurrence in my life as a blog post, and to quit taking pictures of weird things to share as well. Please Lord, help me to stop talking about my blog friends as though they are next door neighbors or someone I have known all of my life.
And help me dear Lord, to think of something witty and wise to post tomorrow.
----The Dust Bunny Hostage



Thanks For Stopping By