Read this websites advice on hitting:
Of all the new skills your toddler will reveal in her second year, hitting may be the most worrisome on the list.
Rest assured, she doesn't mean any harm. Kids don't hit to hurt until they're in their twos, and even then, that's not always their intention, says Janet Price, an early childhood development specialist at the Education Development Center in Newton, MA. That doesn't mean, of course, that you should encourage the behavior. First, calmly tell your toddler, "No hitting," and move away from her. Then try to figure out what she needs. Has she been playing with her siblings all afternoon? She might be over-stimulated and need a nap. Has she been up in her high chair for a while? She may want to come down. Hard as it may be not to, don't scold her. "If you get upset, you'll only confuse her because she isn't trying to be bad," Price says.
If your child strikes another child hard enough to make him cry, don't expect her to feel bad -- most toddlers don't have the capacity for empathy. But you can gently explain, "You made Sammy sad. Can you give him a hug?" One day, she'll truly understand the effect her hitting has -- and by then, she'll have learned other, healthier ways to vent.
*************************************************************************************
Now I don't know about you, but I believe you have to scold (in one way or another) your child for hitting.
Pebbles has been kicking me the last couple of days and as much as I HATE to, I've had to "correct" her. NOTHING else has worked. This has been the hardest thing I've had to deal with so far. I did not want to be a Mother who disciplines that "way" but I feel I can't have her hitting/kicking me or other children.
I've been crying about it but I keep telling myself:
Proverbs 13:24
He who spares the rod hates his son, but he who loves him is careful to discipline him.



11 comments:
I agree with you and that's one of my favorite bible quotes which I have had to remind Trucker of from time to time. Kids need discipline for things such as that.
I also remember my mother telling me about the biting issues that might come up when my babies were little. They got discipline by me having the biter bite them back. Needless to say they only done that once.
I know it's hard, I remmeber well. But it's part of being a parent right?
Nothing about parenting comes easy, except for the love. Children have to be disciplined and have boundaries.
You stick to the Word and don't let anyone else make you think differently. Pebbles is relying on you to guide her as she is growing up.
what they said..keep your chin up!
I've taught my little guys Eph 6:1 so they understand what I say goes.
There's also lots of "lesson" bible stories out there..age appropriate for each child.
We spank Rose...not all the time, as she is beginning to respond to scolding (wow, that author would think I was an awful mother!), but sometimes it's all a small child can understand.
It will get easier as she gets older, and can understand different forms of correction. :)
Crystal from Life At The Circus has an excellent system in place for disciplining her children. Jordan and I call she and her husband when we need some advice! :)
Time for a Naughty Spot as Jojo the Super Nanny would say...hang in there Momma...you are doing the right thing.
Super Nanny now so you don't end up on Maury Povich later...
It will be fine, do what you feel is right, and everything will work out. If you ignore it though, she will only keep doing it thinking its the right thing to do.
Parenting certainly is the HARDEST job on the planet...and we each have to decide what is right for our children. And not based on what other people THINK is right for you.
And I can't tell you how many times I have quoted Ephesians 6:1 to my kids and now they know.
Such a hard thing to go thru...everyone does. I will be praying for you : ).
It is so hard when they get to this point and need to be spanked. Lauren has been getting some lately for throwing fits and being a big ole stinker.
Hang in there as they get older you'll need less of the spanking.
I agree with you in your disagreement with that philosophy. But, Oh, how I know how hard it is to discipline your little ones. Remember though that discipline is the loving thing to do. Hang in there.. it'll get easier, and then harder, and then easier, and then...but in the end will be so worthwhile!
Post a Comment